Monday, May 2, 2011

Blogger vs. Facebook

I found this interesting article about facebook v. blogs at http://everythingopera.blogspot.com/2009/01/blogger-vs-facebook.html


As the title of my post offers for the inquisitive peruser of my ramblings, this post is about why I prefer Blogger over Facebook. For the parties interested, then, allow me to begin.

My younger sister has a Facebook profile, and she graciously allowed me to try Facebook with her profile to see what I thought of it because apparently one cannot enjoy Facebook until one is confirmed as a friend, and until they have these friends, they are obliged to do nothing. Needless to say, I have been interested in creating my own identity on Facebook, so I readily accepted her generous offer, and since she and I possess many of the same friends and acquaintances, with us mutually having more of the latter than the former, I decided to learn what I might about what my acquaintances were doing. I saw several of the people I knew, and I was able to see whatever short instant messages they sent to each other, but I began to feel that this was rather foolish. When I can post to my blog, I try to say things that are worthwhile to read, and, readers, you may inform me of it if I fail to do this in each of my posts, but many of the remarks I read were things that were without any consequence or of little importance. Therefore, I much prefer Blogger with its format of longer posts over Facebook's.

Second, I like the way one may customize their blog page with many sorts of media and lists of blogs that one follows regularly. Facebook's pages, when one is acclamated to the features of Blogger, seem very dull indeed. Although I would not mind having a Facebook profile since people I know would probably not wish to visit my blog, I like the format of Blogger much better; it encourages users to make pages their own and to create posts of variable lengths.

Of course, there is the remote possibilty that I cannot deny exists that I did not fully explore Facebook with all of its usages. Still, for now at least, I am one blogger who is going to maintain my views on the subject. Do not be dismayed, however, that I am one to close my mind to new ideas, for I think that I shall explore it further, but I do not think that I shall subject myself to Facebook quite yet

No comments:

Post a Comment